Friday, June 27, 2014

Daily Wisdom..."David's Prayer"

Hear my prayer, O Lord, give ear to my supplications: in thy faithfulness answer me and in thy righteousness.”  Psalm 143:1

The earnestness of David's prayer here is seen in the fact of it being offered upon the Faithfulness and Righteousness (vss 1-2) of God’s promises He has for us. In these truths, see the transcending greatness of this remarkable prayer.

"The enemy hath persecuted ... smitten me down ... made me to dwell in dark places ... as those been long dead" (vs 3). David founded his prayer, namely, on the evil and reprobate actions of his son Absalom.

"My spirit is overwhelmed ... my heart is desolate" (vs 4). His petition is desperate with the extremity of his own personal condition. Unless God is ready to destroy him, help must come at once.

"I remember ... I meditate ... I muse" (vs 5). David remembers the promises God had made to him; he mediates upon the marvelous deliverances God has provided for him in the past; he muses upon the fulfillment of the terrible prophecy of the disaster God would raise up against him, "from his own house." David pleads here that he is disciplined and corrected by God's dealings with him.

"I stretch forth my hands unto thee ... my soul thirsteth after thee" (vs 6). Referring to a well know jester of prayer.  The souls-hunger and thirst for God has reached a climax in the heart of David, the very earnestness and eagerness of which are here pleaded as grounds of his petition.

Summarizing this great prayer should offer us the same encouragement in petitioning God: (1) the unmerited grace, faithfulness and righteousness of God to keep His promises (vs1); (2) the systematic behavior of the enemy (vs 3); (3) the extreme personal need of the petitioner (vs 4); (4) the petitioner's trust in the God who has so often delivered him (vs 5); and (5) the hungering and thirsting after the righteousness of God to intervene (vs 6). Such is the love and promise of God for those who call.

Blesses are they which hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled” (Matthew 5:6)


HSAY…Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment