Monday, April 30, 2018

Daily Wisdom


Psa 57 “Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast.”

We can find multiple Psalms that David peened while running from Saul (1 Sam 22-24). Psalm 57 is simply another instance where David continues to record his songs to God while running from death.

Yet, notice if you will, that while David was hiding in the cave, he doesn’t say the cave has brought him refuge.  He said refuge was found under the strength of God’s wing. David’s strength wasn’t established in the resources around him, but in God above him who offered His favor and protection: (Psa 17:8 “Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings.”). 

There are two truths we can glean from David’s song:

1.) God provides mercy and truth, (vs 3) … David finds answer to prayer in receiving God’s intervention, allowing David peace despite his circumstances (vs 4 “my soul is among lions, and I lie even among them…”). Only God’s peace allows you to lie amongst lions!
 2.) God delivers us from our enemies, (vs 6) … David found his deliverance in the hand of God, not man (or even earthly resources). Like Joseph, what man intended for evil, God meant for good (Gen 50:20).

Such hope in God’s mercy and deliverance for our lives ought to stir our hearts to praise in Him. (vss 7-9).

God will send storms… to show us He is the only shelter.

HSAY… Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment