Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Daily Wisdom

For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds.” Psa 57:10

Mercy and Truth is a strange pair, yet they are linked together 47 times in the bible. Mercy is emotional and truth is practical. Mercy is flexible and truth is absolute. As Moses was told to build the ark, he was instructed to place the tablets of stone with the law written on them—cold, hard, and unchangeable. Truth was in the ark, and mercy was right there, too, above it. The mercy seat with the cherubim’s’ wings spread above the ark covered the law.  What is higher than the clouds? What covers the clouds like a canopy? The heavens. Truth reaches to the clouds, but mercy reaches unto the heavens. Mercy is the canopy that covers truth. Matthew 1, lineage of Christ contains some important illustrations of truth and mercy.  Truth says…Tamar was a harlot; Mercy says, she’s a survivor and worth saving. Truth says…Rahab was a harlot, liar; Mercy says, she’s a believer and I have a place for her. Truth says…Ruth is an idol worshiper; Mercy says, I’ll show her the way. Truth says…Bathsheba was a has been; Mercy says, she’ll be a can be.  We are well acquainted with truth. We stand on truth, we live by truth, we glorify truth, and so we should. Truth must be faced and dealt with. Truth cannot be changed, hidden, ran from, or ignored. For some truth is . . . “I’ve had an abortion.” “I was unfaithful to my spouse.” “I’ve been on drugs.” “I’ve embezzled from my employer.” “I’ve practiced homosexuality.” “I’ve ignored God.” Oh yes, we know the truth . But we are not as well acquainted with mercy as we should be. Read the words of the Savior. “…I will have mercy and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners [the Tamars, the Rahabs, the Ruths, the Bathshebas] to repentance” (Mat 9:13). Truth points out the prostitutes, the adulteresses, the idol worshipers, the drug addicts, the lesbians. Mercy calls them to repentance… “By mercy and truth iniquity is purged” (Pro 16:6).

No Truth no freedom; no Mercy no hope.


HSAY…Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment