Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Daily Wisdom

For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.” 1 Cor 9:19

Jesus said the greatest among us is the servant (Mt 23:11-12).  Paul mentions in (1 Cor 8:13) his willingness to deny himself if it be the means of benefiting others. Our freedom in Jesus is endless, man did not save us, it was only Jesus redemptive work on the cross. But, we must not look at man as an obligation or burden, but as an opportunity afforded us through Jesus to invest in and share such freedom. Paul was willing to go to great extents to do so, even sacrificing his freedom amongst man.  Early historians claim Christians would sale themselves into slavery in order that they might have access to and benefit slaves. Obviously God has not called all men to such actions, but he has called one and all who know their eternal hope in Jesus to share openly with those around them.  May it require you to place yourself a little lower than you’re normally comfortable with, maybe? But, again Jesus said the greatest is the servant, do you seek the attention and affirmation of man or God?  Their is no reward of man that offers eternal benefit or freedom.  Truthfully it often creates the bondage of desire and greed for more. The statement Paul makes, “that I may gain the more” is taken from merchants, who spared no pains, but took every method to acquire gain and profit. What profit are you desiring to accumulate, worldly or eternally (Col 3:2)?  Some have said:  “I’m extreme in taking this Jesus stuff so seriously,” I feel extremely confident Jesus took it seriously when he died on the cross for me. Why would I not be willing to sacrifice as a servant and place myself a little lower for his gain, and let him worry about my gain!

If investing in souls for eternal gain was your job, would you still be employed?

HSAY… Todd

No comments:

Post a Comment